This tutorial will walk you through the steps to download and install 7pace Timetracker for TFS.
But first, a little background to give you additional context. When you first install Team Foundation Server (TFS), a default collection is created that contains all team projects. If you host multiple team projects in TFS, you can manage these more efficiently by grouping them together with other projects that have similar requirements or objectives, such as those that access a specific code base. By creating separate Team Project Collections, you can group team projects together in one or more organizational units, allowing you to manage the group of team projects as an independent resource with its own user groups, server resources, and maintenance schedule. When you create a collection, you specify the logical and physical resources that team projects within that collection can use. All the artifacts and data that those team projects use are stored in the single database of the collection.
7pace Timetracker stores the time tracking details of all the projects in the specific Team Project Collection database in which those projects exists. If you store time tracking details in one Team Project Collection, for example, Collection_1, and you access another collection, for example, Collection_2, you cannot view the time tracking details for the projects stored in Collection_1. You need to open each separate Team Project Collection to view the time tracking details of the projects housed in each collection. Simply put, Timetracker works per collection and every collection is an isolated space.
In addition to time tracking details, 7pace Timetracker stores the settings of the 7pace Timetracker client and the 7pace Timetracker server versions in the Team Project Collection database. For more specific information about Team Project Collection, you can also access the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) website http://msdn.microsoft.com/ and search for Team Project Collection.
Step 1: Download 7pace Timetracker Server
- Access the https://www.7pace.com/ website.
- On the main menu bar, click Try.
- On the resulting page, scroll down and click on the appropriate version of 7pace Timetracker to download, based on your version of Team Foundation Server.
- Your browser will download the installation file at your specified location in a .ZIP format.
Step 2: Install 7pace Timetracker Server
1. Before installing, ensure that your system meets the required prerequisites for the installation.
Below are the prerequisites required for installing 7pace Timetracker Server:
- Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2018, 2017 (RTM, Update 1 and later), 2015 (Update 2.1 and later)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2014, 2016
- Internet Explorer 9/10/11, Firefox, Chrome
- Administrator rights on the local system and on Microsoft® Team Foundation Server
- Starting with Timetracker 4.14, Timetracker for TFS requires .NET 4.7.1 and higher to be installed on a machine.
Below are the prerequisites required for installing 7pace Timetracker Client on Microsoft Windows system:
- Microsoft® Windows® 7, 8, 8.1 and above, 10
- Network connection to the server running 7pace Timetracker
2. Go to the location where you saved the 7pace Timetracker Server application.
3. Extract the installer zip file on your system.
4. Double-click the installer file to run the installer.
Note: Ensure that you are running the installer with administrator permissions.
The system will display the Welcome page.
5. Click the "Next" button.
The system displays the "End User License Agreement" page.
6. Accept the agreement and click the "Next" button -> The system displays the "Ready to Install 7pace Timetracker" page.
7. Follow the installation prompts until the system displays the the 7pace Timetracker Setup Wizard confirmation page.
8. After copying the files for 7pace Timetracker Server, the installer applies the necessary configurations to the system. The system then displays the Windows Security dialog box for you to enter your username and password to connect to Team Foundation Server. After you provide valid credentials, the installer completes the remaining installation process and displays the page, below.
9. Click the Finish button.
After 7pace Timetracker installation completes successfully, the 7pace Timetracker configuration wizard starts automatically.
Please see the article, below, on the 7pace Timetracker for TFS Configuration Tool: Initial Installation, where we will guide you through the configuration process step-by-step .