Tracking Time on a TFS Item with the Web Client - Web Interface
1. Open any page/tab in Timetracker.
The Web Client displays directly under the Timetracker menu bar selections, on every tab (this screenshot shows the "Configuration" tab):
If you have already been tracking, the last tracked item will display:
If you have not logged any time with the Web Client in the current day yet, the "TODAY" field will display 00:00 (the "TODAY" field updates as you track time with the Web Client and reflects time tracked on all work items within the current calendar day). "Your tracker is not currently running" will display if you are not tracking time.
2. Click anywhere on the gray area of the tracker bar.
Note: If you have previously tracked on an item, the last item you tracked will display on the minimized Web Client bar and you can simply click the white "Start Tracking" button to resume tracking on it.
The Web Client fields expand and display:
Note: If you have previously worked on a work item(s), the prediction feature of the Web Client automatically populates the items you were previously working on or assigned in the "Work Item" field (it displays a maximum of 10 items). As mentioned, the last item you tracked time on will be the default selection that displays first in the list.
3. Select a previously-entered item in the "Work Item" field from the list or begin typing in a new item utilizing the smart search feature.
Note: Once selected, the "Project" and "Parent" field to the right of the "Work Item" field will also populate ("Parent" field will be blank if it IS the top-level item). The "Work Item" and "Parent" fields include item ID links that when clicked, will open the corresponding work item forms. When you click on the "Work Item" ID, you'll notice that on the item form that opens, the "Start Tracking" button on the "Details" tab of that project also reflects that time tracking has commenced (see more information on tracking on the work item form, further down in this article).
4. (Optional) Enter additional information in the "Comment" text field.
5. (Optional) Select an "Activity Type" from the dropdown list.
6. Click the blue "Start Tracking" button.
Time tracking commences.
Important: You will notice that when you start tracking via the Web Client, if you also have the Windows Client paired with your account, it begins tracking too. As mentioned, above, if you open the work item form, it too will show tracking has commenced on the "Details" tab. All time tracking within Timetracker is synced.
7. Click the "Close" button.
The tracker fields are minimized, allowing you to continue your work. Once minimized, the current work item number and description displays in the "Tracking" field, as well as the "Activity Type" you selected (if any), the total length of time you have worked on this item in the current calendar day ("TODAY" field), and the current length of time you have tracked on the item since hitting "Start Tracking"(to the right of the "TODAY" field).
Tracking Time on a Non-TFS Item with the Web Client - Web Interface
You can also track time on the Web Client on non-TFS items, such as client calls or meetings.
1. In the "Work Item" field, if there is a TFS-item displaying in the field, simply click the "x" icon at the end of the field.
This clears out the "Work Item" field and displays it as blank:
2. (Required) Enter additional information in the "Comment" text field. When the "Work Item" field is blank, the "Comment" field becomes required in order to start tracking time.
3. (Optional) Select an "Activity Type" from the dropdown list.
4. Click the blue "Start Tracking" button.
Time tracking commences.
Tracking Time with the Web Client - Work Item Form
You can find the "Start Tracking" button on the work item "Details" page when you open any item to view or edit.
1. Click the "Start Tracking" button.
IMPORTANT: Clicking this button causes the "Tracking Details" dialog box to display ONLY if your administrator has enabled "Tracking details are required" under the "Configuration" tab -> "Time Tracking". If not, tracking will begin immediately, without further prompt.
2. Fill in the fields and click "Start Tracking".
Time tracking immediately initiates on that work item via the work item itself. Additionally, the Web Client and the Windows Client, if installed, also start tracking simultaneously. All three methods of timetracking within Timetracker are synced. This functionality adds another layer of ease and integration, right where you work.