I am seeing a setup error by 'TFSSecurity': "Access Denied: (...) needs the following permissions". What does this mean?
During installation, TFS Timetracker is launching a utility to apply additional changes to the system:
1. Add current service account under whose permission TFS is running (by default it is NETWORK SERVICE) into security group of TFS "Service Accounts" so that NETWORK SERVICE will get rights to "perform requests on behalf of others"
2. Add TFS Timetracker's WCF service to configuration to grant the Windows client the ability to track time.
3. Add your NT Authority/System account to the Team Foundation Administrator group.
If any of these steps fails, setup will fail and automatically be rolled back.
This utility tries to apply the changes in the background, but often at initial launch, it prompts for credentials of a user with the permission level "Edit collection-level information". This dialog is generated by TFSSecurity.exe - a utility of Team Foundation Server. In order to continue, it is necessary to provide appropriate credentials, otherwise it will fail.
If an error during the process of rights application occurs, information is displayed to enable the user to adjust system settings. The error message is generated by TFSSecurity.exe. Here is an example on how the error could appear:
The most common errors are:
1. ... Error: Access Denied: [USERNAME] needs the following permission(s) to perform this action: Edit collection-level information - this means that provided user hasn't have sufficient permissions to edit configuration. [USERNAME] can be different than the user on behalf of whom setup is launched. This can happen when other user sometime before used TFSSecurity and remembered his credentials. To solve this you could either clear credential cache or for time of installation add requested user to apropriate security group of TFS server (and try again).
2. ... HTTP code 503: Service Unavailable. Or other http error starts with 5 (500 and others). This error means that your TFS server not runnig or has some runtime error. Open TFS page in your browser to see details of error. Fix it and try again.
3. Access to file is denied [path] - Setup was unable to make changes to required file. Usually it will be web.config file of TFS server. Please, grant permissions to change it.